Sunday 7 October 2012

Newcastle Ocean Baths and Canoe Pool

There's nothing worse than waking up at 4am for a sunrise and driving to a location to see a thick band of grey cloud smack bang on the horizon...ok maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift. It can be a little disheartening to arrive with such great expectation and then to be disappointed by what nature has thrown up for the day.

Over the past few years since I started taking photography seriously as a hobby, I have come to appreciate that it's times like these that demand the creativity of photographer to make the best of a situation. Instead of saying "oh well the sunrise is a bit disapointing...lets go home and catch up on sleep", I now find myself saying "oh well the the sunrise is a bit disappointing, what else can i capture to make the best of the situation".

The following image is not exactly a breath-taking image. There are flaws in the colouration, foreground detail and harsh blown out highlights (probably among many other flaws). But nonetheless, it has grown on me. I think sometimes I am too critical of my own work. Anyway here I am, throwing it out to the web. What are your impressions of this image?

Newcastle Canoe Pool, NSW
And of course, I must acknowledge/feature my partner in photography crime Kane, basking in the morning glow.

The morning glow at Newcastle Ocean Baths, NSW
So to conclude - when nature just won't play nice on the day, think about what you can capture, rather than what you can't.

Cheers
Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment